The town of Carthage was incorporated in 1796. The land was donated by Richardson Fagin in 1803. The name has changed many times from Faginville to Carthage. It was settled in 1818 when legislation was passed officially changing the name to Carthage. The town most successful business was a carriage factory operated and owned by Alexander Kelly and Thomas Tyson. Their buggies were sold throughout the Unites States until 1925. Today the town still hold the annual Bugy Festival every May in celebration of the Buggy factory. Historic homes can still be seen today and are known as “Sweet Carthage”.